Monday, March 17, 2014

Story Songs: Since I Fell for You


There are some songs I can listen to over and over again. One that I never get tired of hearing is Lenny Welch's "Since I Fell for You."

This timeless ballad, written by Buddy Johnson in 1945, peaked at No. 4 on the Billboard charts for Welch in 1963. It was first recorded by Ella Johnson, Buddy's sister, and his orchestra in 1946.

Although this jazz classic has been covered by a variety of artists such as Doris Day, Nina Simone, Bonnie Raitt, Barbra Streisand, Charlie Rich, and Michael Bolton, I prefer Welch's sincere and smooth delivery.

The song is about a couple's breakup where one doesn't want to let go even though it's become a one-sided relationship.

It begins:

"When you just give love
And never get love
You'd better let love depart
I know it so
And yet I know
I can't get you out of my heart"

Apparently, the narrator is having an extramarital affair as we hear:

"You
Made me leave my happy home
You took my love and now you're gone
Since I fell for you"

And you sense that the singer will never get over it as the song closes:


"Well I
Guess I'll never see the light
I get the blues most every night
Since I fell for you"

Welch, who is 75, still performs a various venues. Some other notable recordings were "Ebb Tide," "You Don't Know Me," and "A Taste of Honey."

"Since I Fell for You" lyrics

Now enjoy the song:

Lenny Welch in Concert

The hit recording


And the original version by Buddy and Ella Johnson



Until the next time...



No comments:

Post a Comment