Saturday, October 31, 2020

Pre-NaNoWriMo Post

 National Novel Writing Month, or NaNoWriMo, blasts off tomorrow for thousands of writers around the world. 

At the starting block

I'll be at my trusty keyboard bright and early in the morning, primed and ready to begin producing an average of 1,667 words a day to reach the goal of 50,000 by the end of the month. I'll have a steaming cup of coffee to kickstart my endeavor. I've accomplished the desired word count twice, both times producing nice first drafts that ended up as novels (both over 70k words after rewrites and edits). Those books were fruits of my labors. I'm sure others have similar testimonies. 

This attempt will result in the fourth book in the John Ross Boomer Lit series. If I sound positive, it's because I don't involve myself in activities that I don't plan to complete (a reason I never participated in marathons). By the way, the third novel in the series will be published on Feb. 1, 2021. More on that in the next week or so.

In the past two weeks, I've worked up a light outline to guide me through the project. It serves as more of a guidepost, getting me from the beginning to the end. There will be a few side trips along the journey, which are subplots as the characters have their say in the process.

I've also created a list of characters that include names, characteristics, backstories, and their relationship to the protagonist. 

I've been asked by readers if this will be the final book in the series. Only if it's the last book I ever write. My goal is to continue the series until I keel over. I hope that's not soon because I enjoy writing about John and Sally Ross and their escapades, be it from their home in Lexington, Ky., to Budapest, Hungary, to New York City. 

It's been interesting to watch them develop and grow in what I've often referred to as a coming-of-old-age series. 

I hope others will consider joining the NaNoWriMo challenge. Even if you don't finish, you'll have the makings of a short story or novella. 

Good luck with your writing!

Until the next time . . .

  


No comments:

Post a Comment