Thursday, December 22, 2022

The Books I Read in 2022

I'm a member of Goodreads and always participate in its Reading Challenge every year. This year's personal challenge was to read 30 books; so far I've exceeded that at 32 and still have a couple more on my bookshelf.

As a writer, I'm a voracious reader. I believe reading makes me a better writer. I think all writers feel that sentiment about their writing. While I love books, I also read newspapers, magazines, blogs, and various Internet sites. Even cereal boxes. 

Here are the books that claimed some of my precious time this year.

I spent an inordinate amount of time reading about our disgraced former president. It wasn't so much that I wanted to read about him, but to gain a deeper understanding of the workings of the government and why people are motivated to do certain things for the sake of power. It was a disheartening look at U.S. democracy in the 21st century. 

     Among the books:
     "Peril" by Bob Woodward and Bob Costa (up close and personal)
     "Trumpocalypse" and "Trumpocracy" by David Frum (a conservative's viewpoint)
    "The Plot to Destroy Democracy" by Malcolm Nance (a cyber expert)
    "The Big Lie" by Jonathan Lemire (details longtime game plan)
    "How Civil Wars Start" by Barbara F. Walter (scary outlook about the nation's future) 
    "Betrayal" by Jonathan Karl (my favorite of the books)
    
I've been a fan of mysteries for a long time. I try to read those that have a distinctive voice, believable characters, and gritty dialogue.
    "Sins of the Father" by Judith White (a pleasant discovery for me)
    "Looking at Kansas" and "Last Train to Miami" by Chris Helvey (one of my favorite murder-mystery writers)
    "Harmon Creek" by Thomas Fenske (based on a heinous crime in Texas)


The next few books probably fall under the General Fiction category. Each has elements of suspense, mystery, sadness, and humor.
    "Uncle Ahmad's Toys" by E. William Fruge (focusing on immigration and racism)
    "Where the Crawdads Sing" by Delia Owens (who hasn't read this book?)    
    "The Necessities of Life" by Ed Ford (Eastern Kentucky mining town during the Great Depression)
    "Zorrie" by Laird Hunt (Woman seeks purpose and understanding in life)


And some nonfiction and poetry:
    "Small Acreages" by Georgia Green Stamper (reflections on a interesting life) 
    "Promise" by Patricia Rose (dealing with a broken heart)
    "Gangsters vs. Nazis" by Michael Benson (something new about "good" bad guys against evil bad guys)
    "Being Mortal" by Atul Gawande (end-of-life options to consider)

Other books I read and enjoyed.
    Nonfiction: "Enemy of the People" (Terrence Petty), "Factfulness" (Hans Rosling), "USA National Parks" (DK Eyewitness Travel), and "Balance Exercise for Seniors" (Baz Thompson).
    Fiction: "She's Missing" (Mike Paull), "The Island" (H. Wakefield), "If She Knew" (Blake Pierce), "Antique Mourning" (Eileen Harris), "Alaska Shelter" (Debbie LaFleiche), "Death Canel" (Michael Hartnett), "After the Ark" (Dick Shead), "Journey to Mackinac Island" (Kileen Prather), and "Adultery 101" (Margaret Kona). 

I've reviewed the books on Goodreads if you're interested in reading them. As an author, I ask readers to leave ratings and/or reviews of my books. So as a reader, I do the same. 

I'll be signing up for the 2023 challenge soon. This time, I'll probably increase the number to 36 books. I hope you join in the challenge as well. It's rewarding, entertaining, and fulfilling. And while you're at it, connect with me.

Until the next time . . .



No comments:

Post a Comment