And that value involves giving back to those who invite you to sign books.
Among the ways:
- Participate in a panel discussion that relates to your book.
- Discuss your writing process.
- Take part in readings.
- Give a presentation about your book and invite questions from readers.
- Talk about the craft, such as research, point-of-view, writing descriptions, developing characters, etc.
- Discuss the reasons why you wrote your book.
- Take part in a writing workshop.
- Develop multiple presentations to address different grade levels when invited to a school.
- Talk about the business side of writing, such as marketing, promotion, agents and publishing houses.
- If self-published, talk about how it differs from traditional publishing.
- If you're an illustrator or writer of picture books, discuss the process of illustrating a book (and perhaps provide a few signed samples as part of a giveaway).