Friday, September 16, 2011

Home Again

Thomas Wolfe's novel "You Can't Go Home Again" doesn't apply to everyone. I'm sure if you wrote something nasty about your hometown or committed a heinous crime, it might be difficult to return to your roots.

But  for writers, I think going back to one's previous home, or stomping grounds, can be important. I recently visited Campbellsville, Ky., where I lived from 1959-65, those coming-of-age years that are so important in one's life.

I was in Campbellsville to talk about my latest novel and writing. About 10 or so folks showed up and we had, at least in my humble opinion, a very enjoyable session. Some of the discussion brought back some old memories for me.

I believe writers should make occasional visits to the places they lived (unless they wrote something bad about the town or committed a heinous crime!), simply to find things that might be lost in one's memory.

I know I'm looking forward to a return trip to Campbellsville to remember other parts of my life before they are forever lost. 

Until the next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment