Wednesday, March 12, 2014

National Reading Month

March is National Reading Month

Abraham Lincoln
I must confess I didn't know there was a National Reading Month. I thought every month was a reading month. For me, every day is a reading day. And I'm sure that many, if not all, of the folks who read my blog are avid readers. 

Renee Fleming
National Reading Month is part of an effort to bring attention to the importance of reading. And I can't argue with that. We need more readers -- everywhere. 

Jeff Gordon
Get Caught Reading provides some interesting statistics about reading in America, such as 44 million (yes, million) adults can't read a simple story to a child and more than 20 percent of adults read at a 5th grade level or below. 

Friday Night Lights
And Scholastic.com has some enlightening statistics about student achievement and the importance of reading. You'll discover that regular reading helps mold better students, and later, more productive and responsible citizens.

Yoda
So if you don't have any reading materials at home (because you've read all of them), visit your library, local bookstore, or favorite Internet book site, and get a book, newspaper or magazine and start reading -- every day.

To paraphrase something Yoda might say, "Let the words be with you."

Until the next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment