Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Justin Hayward -- Wind of Heaven Tour

I spent an enchanted evening on Valentine's Day, attending Justin Hayward's "Wind of Heaven Tour," at the Lexington Opera House.

Hayward, along with virtuoso guitarist Mike Dawes and multi-talented keyboardist/background singer Julie Ragins, performed 14 songs, a mix of Hayward's solo efforts and  Moody Blues' standards. 
Justin Hayward


Hayward, who turned 70 last October, delivered heartfelt and emotional ballads as well as a few uptempo tunes from his vast catalog of music. I'm not sure his voice has improved with age (he was at the top of his game during the Moodies' core seven era from 1967-72), but there is still the sincerity and honesty in his voice that has connected with music lovers for more than a half-century. 




Mike Dawes, Justin Hayward and Julie Ragins
Appropriately, Hayward opened with "Tuesday Afternoon" and closed with the timeless "Nights in White Satin," followed by an encore "I Know You're Out There Somewhere," to an appreciative audience of 800 or so fans.

Among the other songs were "The Best Is Yet to Come," "One Day, Someday," "In Your Blue Eyes," and "Forever Autumn."

Mike Dawes
The concert started with Dawes playing several awe-inspiring instrumentals before Hayward took the stage. Dawes certainly has to rank as one of the best guitarists with what he can do with the instrument. 

This marked the first time I've seen Hayward without his MB mates. I've seen the Moodies nine times, dating back to 1971 in Kansas City. I've never been disappointed.


This year is the 50th anniversary of the Moodies' groundbreaking "Days of Future Passed" album,  which the group is commemorating with a tour this summer.

Until the next time. . .

3 comments:

  1. It was an impressive show. I recognized the Moodies songs and really enjoyed the entire evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fascinating opening performance with Mike Dawes. Justin was in great form at his age. I'm 58 and envy his energy. I hope they enjoyed their visit to the heart of the Bluegrass and add us to future tours!

      Delete
  2. I thought Justin remained true to the Moody's songs but that Mike's guitar gave them a nuanced take. Julie's background vocals were nearly ethereal and her keyboard work blended perfectly. I told my wife that I thought it was interesting to see how Justin shared the stage and showed his appreciation to his accompaniests, almost like passing the torch to the next generation. He does come across as a very nice individual.

    ReplyDelete