Tuesday, August 21, 2018

WIP Update: 4th Rewrite

I completed the fourth rewrite of my work in progress yesterday. As with the other rewrites, I'm going to sit on it for a few days before delving back into it with semi-fresh eyes.

For those who haven't been following this thread of posts (shame on you!), I'm working on the third book in the John Ross Boomer Lit series. The first two are "Old Ways and New Days" and "Darkness Beyond the Light." I've already written the first draft to the fourth book, but that's for another post. And I know where I'm going with the fifth. 

The word count has increased, from about 37k in the first draft to more than 52k. It'll probably increase another 5k to 10k with the next rewrite.  This book will be somewhat shorter than the previous novels, something I'll discuss in a later post as well, probably after the publishing date has been determined as part of the promotion/marketing phase.


The manuscript will grow in the fifth rewrite because I added several characters to the story, and a few are begging for  more development and exposure. Several scenes require more research.  And there are still a few loose ends that need to be resolved to advance the story and series. 

No doubt I'll come across other parts that need attention, such as dialogue, backstory, and timelines. It can be a never-ending process. That's why there comes a point when you have to let it go and involve others to gain critical feedback.

It's still my goal to have the manuscript completed and sent to my editor by the end of the month. If I'm not satisfied after the next round of rewrite and revision, I'll do a sixth...seventh...eighth...however many it takes to have it have it ready for her discriminating eyes.

Until the next time . . .




No comments:

Post a Comment