Saturday, July 20, 2019

Behind the Times

"Sometimes I feel very sad
(Can't find nothin' I can put my heart and soul into)
I guess I just wasn't made for these times." — Brian Wilson, "I Just Wasn't Made for These Times"

Do you ever feel that you're falling behind the times?

Vincent Le Moign [CC BY 4.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0)]In this digital age, when everything moves at a whirlwind pace, I find it difficult, if not impossible, to keep up with what's going on in technology. 

Or maybe I simply don't care and don't want to get caught up in the latest gadgets, apps, and other things that are supposed to make things simpler in my life.

I was recently at a local supermarket and noticed a few items on sale, but one had to use their shopper's card and the digital coupons. I managed to download the coupons on my app but couldn't figure out how to use them when I went through the self-service checkout.

Fortunately, a kind and understanding attendant was helpful and touched the right buttons on my app to get me through checkout. When I was finished, I told her that I thought the store was making things more complicated.  She smiled and agreed, saying she didn't enjoy shopping either.  

I may have to go to online shopping and simply pick up my groceries at the store. Maybe that's what they want me to do anyway. Making my life simpler. 

Last fall my wife and I bought a new SUV. We've had it 10 months, and believe it or not, there are less than 5,000 miles on the odometer. There are so many bells and whistles installed that it takes the joy out of driving. 

After turning on the ignition, we end up asking each other how to do this or that.  Even using the radio is somewhat complicated rather than being intuitive like those in older models.

Yes, I'm getting older by the day. And I can deal with that.  It's the things that are supposed to make my life easier that I'm having trouble with these days.  That's something I'll be addressing more in my John Ross Boomer Lit series — the frustrations of coping with ever-evolving technology.

Do you experience the same frustrations? Feel feel to leave a comment. 

Until the next time . . . 



No comments:

Post a Comment