Monday, August 26, 2019

Plodding Along on WIP

As mentioned in a previous post, I'm working on the fourth book in my "John Ross Boomer Lit" series.

So let me give you a quick update: It hasn't been easy.

I sat on the first draft for about six months before going back to it on Aug. 1. I wanted to view it with fresh eyes. That has happened, for the most part. It's also made for some tired eyes during the rewrite.

I've rediscovered forgotten words, like reading something for the first time by another author, except that the author is me. I'm having to relearn some of the plotlines and new characters. 

It's been an adventure as each page seems to contain something new to me. There are thoughts and words that were locked in the recesses of my brain several months ago. And now they're beginning to re-emerge on the computer screen.

One thing I've had to do is provide more backstory so readers have an idea what John and Sally Ross, as well as other characters such as Brody and Geraldine, have been through in the previous three novels. It also reopens my memory bank.  

A reason for that is because this yet unnamed novel was part of the third novel, "New Horizons," but I decided to divide the draft when it began to spiral in different directions. I like coherence in my books; I certainly didn't want to write a sprawling novel of 250,000 words or more.

So that's where I am at this point in time. I'm still cautiously optimistic that I will be able to hand it over to my editor at Wings ePress by the end of September. 

Until the next time . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment