Monday, September 30, 2019

A Timely Update on WIP

I don't know if it's age-related, manuscript-related, or retired-related, but work on my latest novel seems to be moving at a snail's pace. 

Truth be told, it's probably a bit of each: I don't have the energy I once had, the manuscript is resulting in a more detailed rewrite, and I may have too much on the platter in my twilight years.

My energy level is definitely not what it was, even five years ago. For example, I recently went to the doctor for two vaccinations. My body ached for several days and it affected my sleep. I felt physically drained. I have two more vaccinations coming up this week and I dread it because of what may happen again.

I spend each day on the manuscript, the fourth book in the John Ross Boomer Lit series. As mentioned in a previous post, I put the first draft in hibernation for about six months before getting back to it. Now, for various reasons, the manuscript almost seems like reading a new book. I wanted to put fresh eyes on it, but sometimes wonder if this is almost to the extreme. 

I do try to stay busy each day. I'm up before the crack of dawn, usually working on my novel. I also read each day. I do some book promotion and marketing. I'm involved in the Bluegrass Writers Coalition. I meet friends several times a month for coffee or breakfast. And I have family matters as well to attend to most every day; just ask my wife and dogs. I also have hobbies that include photography and travel. 

I've read that it's important for folks around my age to stay mentally sharp and physically fit (that probably includes any age from what I've observed). I wonder, though, if a person can overdo it? I certainly don't want to spend my days sitting in a rocking chair in front of the TV, wasting away in mind and body.  I guess balance is the keyword.

So that's where I am on my novel—in a roundabout way. I've contacted my editor at Wings ePress and the novel should be published in 2020. Now to avoid going around in circles and get back to the manuscript!

Until the next time . . . 

No comments:

Post a Comment