Thursday, February 13, 2020

Story Songs for Valentine's Day

Since love is in the air this time of the year, I've got a few songs for Valentine's Day, or any day listening for the lovestruck.

It's been four years since I posted music for Valentine's Day. My first was in 2013

Here are my love offerings for 2020—five feel-good songs because love should make a person feel good:

The inimitable Sam Cooke released "Cupid," in 1961, a song he penned that reached No. 17 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart. The timeless tune has been covered by many artists through the years such as Johnny Nash (No. 39 in 1969), Tony Orlando and Dawn (No. 22 in 1976), and Amy Winehouse (2007). 


"Cupid draw back your bow
And let your arrow go
Straight to my lover's heart for me, for me"



In 1969, the Spiral Starecase recorded a No. 12 hit with "More Today Than Yesterday." It was written by Pat Upton, the group's lead singer and guitarist. Among the artists who covered the song are Sonny & Cher, Chicago, and Patti Austin. 

"I don't remember what day it was
I didn't notice what time it was
All I know is that I fell in love with you
And if all my dreams come true
I'll be spending time with you"





Another hit from 1969 was the mellow "Everyday with You Girl," a No. 19 song from the Classics IV and lead singer Dennis Yost. It was written by Buddy Buie, a prolific Southern songwriter who was inducted in both the Georgia (1984) and Alabama (1997) music hall of fame. 

"And when I go to sleep at night time
Tomorrow's what I'm praying for
'Cause everyday with you girl
Is sweeter than the day before"




The fourth song on this year's list is "How Deep Is Your Love," written and performed by the legendary Bee Gees—Barry, Robin, and Maurice. The timeless classic that topped the charts in December 1977. 

"I know your eyes in the morning sun
I feel you touch my hand in the pouring rain
And the moment that you wander far from me
I wanna feel you in my arms again"




The fifth song is John Berry's "Your Love Amazes Me," a No. 1 country hit in 1994. The soulful tune was written by Amanda Hunt-Taylor and Chuck Jones. 

"I've seen a sunset that would make you cry
And colors of the rainbow, reaching cross the sky
The moon in all it's phases
Your love amazes me"



I hope you enjoyed this love trip down memory lane. I'll try to remember to do it again next year. 

With love . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment