Monday, October 12, 2020

Return to NaNoWriMo

 I'll be returning to NaNoWriMo on Nov. 1, the official start of the international writing event. It also will mark the official beginning of my 11th novel.

I've participated in National Novel Writing Month twice, both times resulting in young adult novels—Shooting Star and The Bully List. This time it will be for the fifth book in my John Ross Boomer Lit series.  I'm excited about getting started on the new novel. And as a former news reporter and sportswriter, I like working on deadlines.

There are several reasons I like NaNoWriMo:

  • It keeps me focused for 30 days in reaching the goal of 50,000 words. That's a doable 1,600 words a day.
  • I get energized leading up to the first day, my creative engines revving up for the event.
  • As already noted, I feel I'm at my best when working on a deadline. 
  • I'm basically a pantser so it fits my style of writing of letting the creative juices flow and going back later to clean up the scattered messes. 
  • It's fun being part of a collective effort involving writers around the world. I like to be supportive of other writers, especially those who are developing their writing chops. 

While I'm a panster (letting the characters run wild wherever my subconscious plot and subplots take them), I will have a few notes jotted down to get me going in the right direction on the first day. And whatever I write will probably change, hopefully for the better, during rewrites.

One more thing. I've become somewhat of a procrastinator in my twilight years. You can't procrastinate in NaNoWriMo. You have to write each and every day. The organization also provides tips to prepare for the writing blitz.

For those who like challenges, I encourage you to sign up for NaNoWriMo. For more information, check out this FAQ.

Good luck!

Until the next time . . .


No comments:

Post a Comment