Saturday, October 22, 2011

Bucky and Me

My sweet and lovable Bucky passed away this week. He had congestive heart disease and his little body couldn't handle it any longer. He died in my arms. 

I know how most dog owners feel about their pet -- that they have the best dog in the world. I'm no different. Bucky was a very special part of my life for 8 1/2 years.  So, in a sense, this blog is dedicated to those who understand the sadness one experiences when their beloved pet dies.

Bucky would wake me in the morning, licking me on the face. He would greet me when I came home from work. Have you ever seen a dog that could smile? Bucky had that trait. It would melt your heart. 

My wife called Bucky my shadow because he would always follow me everywhere in the house. While some Yorkies aren't content to curl up and sit on your lap, it was Bucky's favorite spot. I did a lot of my writing with Bucky resting on my legs.

Bucky loved to travel. He sensed when I was about to go on an errand. And whenever I could take him with me, he'd ride shotgun on my left knee. One of my future plans was to take a trip out West with Bucky.

Bucky would get excited when I told him one of my sons, Justin and Sean, would be coming home for a visit. He'd wait at the front door and jump up and down when he saw them pull into the driveway. When my wife came home from work, Bucky would be at the top of the stairs to greet her with a smile and kiss.

He loved our next-door neighbor, Mary. Every time I opened the front door to let him out to potty, he would look over at her house. And if he saw her, he'd make a beeline to receive her affection and give her some kisses. He felt the same way toward other neighbors.

Oh, yes, Bucky was a kisser. Not a kisser in the sense that he would lick and lick and lick. He'd give a kiss or two, just to show his love.

Bucky was protective as well. He wouldn't let any harm come to those he loved. One time while walking Bucky, step-brother Baxter, and Chloe, another Yorkie we were dogsitting, we came across a much larger dog. Bucky quickly came between us and the dog. I'm not sure if the other dog was that frightened of Bucky, but he did go the other way. Bucky puffed out his little chest like a conquering hero.

I could go on and on about Bucky. I'm glad I have the wonderful memories and photographs of him especially during this grieving period. 

A friend wrote that dogs aren't like family, they are family. He is so right. We bring them into our lives and they give unconditional love in return. We can learn so much from them.

Another friend wrote that her dog passed away about a year ago and she still cries when she thinks about her companion of 17 years.

Several years ago when I was working for the AP, my friend George Hackett called me on the phone. He was in his 70s at the time and crying because his dog Patty Paws had died. While I tried to console him, I really didn't understand his pain. Now I do.
Until the next time...

2 comments:

  1. Mike

    I loss Gus, an American Bulldog, in December of 2009. He was the first dog that I owned that wasn't strictly an outside working type dog. I never understood dog owners until I got Gus. It was a difficult time. I waited for about 10 months and before I got my next dog. She, Lucy, is also, and American Bulldog. She won't replace Gus but is not meant too.

    I do understand you pain.

    Russ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike,
    I remember about 10 years ago when my Lab/Dauschund mix passed away. Had her for almost 14 years and still miss her to this day. Some people say that there is closure when a loved one passes on, even a pet. I don't think so. I think acceptance and knowing that the suffering is over and their soul is in a better happier place. Thinking that makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete