Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Get On Your Mark

For those ambitious souls out there, it's almost time for National Novel Writing Month -- also referred to as NaNoWriMo.

The idea is to write a novel in November, beginning on the first day and ending on the last day of the month. For NaNoWriMo, the goal for adults  is 50,000 words over 30 days. Doesn't sound like much? Hmmm....try it.

A disclaimer here. I've never participated in NaNoWriMo. I always seem to have too much going on to make that commitment. That's not to say I won't try it this year. I'm still thinking about it.

I know I can write daily. That's what I've done on all my novels. My first novel, The Touch, was written in six weeks -- about 75,000 words. 

I do think NaNoWriMo is a great way to put some words down on the computer, or wherever, because it's a challenge for the writer to stay focused for 30 days. Perhaps as it would be for a runner and deciding to participate in a marathon. You want to see if you can go the distance. 
I'll let you know on Nov. 1 if I have stepped up to the starting line. The more I think about the event, it sounds like it could be a lot of fun.

And like a marathon, it really doesn't matter if you win. The goal is to finish. And if you do write the 50,000 words, or more, you'll be rewarded with a certificate and Web badge. By the way, it's open to all age groups, and those 17 and under have different individual goals. 

Interested? Find out more, and sign up, at http://www.nanowrimo.org/.

I wish you luck!

Until the next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment