Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Another Year, A New Year

Today is the last day of 2014; tomorrow is the first day of 2015.

It's only a matter of a second separating the two years. As a matter of fact, it's already 2015 on the other side of the Earth (so here's a belated Happy New Year to you!). 

I don't get too wrapped up about a new year. I don't stay up and watch the ball drop at Times Square in New York on TV. I don't go to the neighborhood watering hole and celebrate the beginning of a new year with friends and strangers. Truth be told, I'll probably read and be in bed around 9:30 p.m. 

I don't make any New Year's resolutions. I try to live each day as it comes. I do have goals but they aren't mandated to begin on the first day of the year. 

Some of my goals include:
  • Finish a manuscript for a new novel
  • Publish another short story collection
  • Edit a friend's book so he can publish it in a few months
  • Travel to foreign lands
  • Lose weight
  • Eat healthy
  • Exercise regularly
  • Stay in touch with old friends
  • Make new friends
  • Be a good friend
  • Spend more time with family
  • Learn something new in the arts 
I'm sure I won't realize all of them. But I may reach some other goals along the way that may be more satisfying and enriching to me.

While I think it's important to think about the future, I believe it's equally important to live in the present. We're not guaranteed a future, especially those in my age group. 

And when I focus on the future, I want it to be primarily for my children, grandchildren and others -- socially, environmentally, and spiritually. I want a better world for them.

Wishing everyone a year of peace, love, and kindness in 2015.

Until the next time...









   

No comments:

Post a Comment