Monday, December 14, 2015

In Review of Books

I'm a reviewer. After I  go to restaurants, stay at hotels, purchase appliances, hire a contractor for home repairs, buy music, watch movies, I usually leave a review at a relevant website. 

I do it because I want to share my experiences with others. And because quite a few folks do the same, helping me make decisions on various and sundry activities. I hope I'm being helpful to others by sharing my opinions. 

I also leave book reviews at places such as Goodreads, Amazon, Barnes & Noble and lesser known sites. As an author, I appreciate those who leave reviews of my books and those of others. While reviews are purely subjective, they do provide insights on books.

They also help books gain some traction with the reading public and give authors a bit more exposure. With the thousands of books and authors out there, every review helps. 

I've heard from some readers who tell me they find it difficult to write a review. I tell them to keep it short and simple -- basically why they liked or didn't like the book.  

If that proves difficult, at least leave a rating. And try to be honest. 

As a reader, I usually write a review soon after I finish a book, while it is still fresh in my mind. 

By being a reviewer, it helps me understand, as an author, that it takes a while for a review to appear after purchasing a book. In other words, a person generally doesn't buy a book and post a review the next day.  

I usually have several books that I'm reading, or about to read, and they usually take precedence over a new book, especially those I have from the library with due dates. So it may take up to a month before I begin reading a new book (I currently have four books on my list now). 

I hope you're a reader and reviewer. I know authors, booksellers, and readers appreciate the time you take express your thoughts.

Until the next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment