Sunday, November 20, 2016

Progress Report -- Second Draft

I've started on the second draft of my work in progress, a sequel to "Old Ways and New Days."

The past few days have been spent rereading OWND, going over old notes, making new notes and reviewing research to make sure everything flows.

It will take me a week or so to go over the manuscript, then I will go over it again and again (probably eight more times). My goal is to have it completed and ready for the publisher by the first of the year.

My editor at Wings ePress will spend a week or so, maybe longer, going over the manuscript and return it to me for edits and perhaps a few suggestions to strengthen the story. The process takes several weeks, or longer.   

One incentive is to have it ready for the Southern Kentucky Book Fest, in Bowling Green, on April 22. A  week later, I'll be participating in the seventh annual Authors Fair in La Grange, Ky.  

I don't mind the rewrites other than getting tired of going over the manuscript an eighth or ninth time. At that point you read things you think are there and overlook other things you believe aren't there. That's when a good editor steps in and sees things that are there, should be there or shouldn't be there. 

Back to the manuscript. 

Until the next time....


No comments:

Post a Comment