Friday, March 22, 2019

Rock and Roll Heaven

I finally made it to rock 'n' roll heaven.

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 
After waiting quite a few years, my wife and I made the pilgrimage to Cleveland to visit the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, located in an imposing glass pyramid on the banks of Lake Erie. 


The Moody Blues exhibit
I've wanted to visit the Rock Hall for a long time but must confess that I vowed that not to make the trek until my favorite band, The Moody Blues, was inducted. It was long overdue, but it finally happened in 2018. 


While on a trip to New England last fall, listening to a SiriusXM Radio oldies channel, I learned that the exhibits for the 2018 inductees would be removed and replaced by the new members in March. I had planned to drive to Cleveland after hearing the news but decided against it because of inclement weather. So we visited on a sunny, but cold day in late February. 

Elvis is King!

The Rock Hall is definitely worth the visit (and senior rockers get a discount). It can be a daylong activity taking in all the floors—if you've got the energy. We spent about 3.5 hours, and plan to return someday. It's also handicap accessible, and furthermore, it's easy to find the place and there's plenty of parking (I was told Tuesday is the least-crowded day and that's when we made the drive from our old Kentucky home).

The Beatles display
There are six levels to the building, starting with the roots of rock on the ground floor and rock TV on the top. As you take in every floor, you'll see artifacts of rock legends, short films such as the history of American Bandstand and the Power of Rock Experience, where I discovered Prince was an electrifying guitarist, a room of pinball machines (remember Pinball Wizard?), and much more.  

For more information on the exhibits, click here. You can also order tickets on the website and view a calendar of upcoming events to help plan your visit.


As Mick Jagger and Keith Richard wrote in 1974, "I know it's only rock and roll, but I like it, yes, I do..."




Until the next time . . . 








No comments:

Post a Comment