Monday, August 17, 2020

Pushing Pause on Facebook

I'm currently on the third day of a 30-day break from Facebook. 

I needed a hiatus from the time-consuming social website and all the real and faux drama it entails—from politics, pandemic, news, and opinions. And practically everything else under the sun.

I can't say that I've missed it that much. It's similar to when I quit smoking 42 years ago; a withdrawal that gets easier by the day. 

I'm able to read items that appear on Facebook but without being bombarded by the noise of uninformed opinions, demeaning comments, and mean-spirited attacks that often accompany the posts.

So what am I doing with my time? Here are a few things:

  • More time reading books
  • Watching a few movies
  • Research my next novel
  • Decluttering the house (the more I toss, the more I uncover)
  • Minimal yard work (it was almost non-existent except for mowing the lawn)

I also may begin edits from my publisher on my next novel (John Ross Boomer Lit Series), which is scheduled to be released next February.

My life wasn't consumed by the social-media behemoth. At least I don't think so; you be the judge. I generally logged on in the morning for an hour or so to read notifications from friends and scroll the latest posts, and then again for about an hour in the evening. 

As an author, I use Facebook to post articles and memes pertaining to reading, writing, and other literary interests as well as updates on my writing endeavors. I also belong to several writing/author groups so I'd check on what others were doing.

I don't want to give the impression that I've withdrawn from everything. I still tweet, save articles on Pinterest, read blogs on Tumblr and Medium, and opinions and advice on Quora. I also subscribe to several blogs from fellow authors.

My time on Facebook is suspended until Sept. 15. I'm not sure what will happen after that, but my guess is that I'll spend a lot less time there in what is becoming a virtual wasteland. 

I'll provide an update when it's over and done. I also plan to post more here about various and sundry things in my free time so follow if interested (hint, hint).

Please share your thoughts on how Facebook, or other social media platforms, affect your life.

A thought from comedian/author/actor Jim Carrey:

“Solitude is dangerous. It’s very addictive. It becomes a habit after you realize how peaceful and calm it is. It’s like you don’t want to deal with people anymore because they drain your energy.”

Until the next time . . .



 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment