Thursday, September 10, 2020

Wear Your Mask and Speak Up!

I was at a hospital for an annual checkup and the receptionist appeared to be perturbed with me. I had a bit of trouble understanding what she was saying.

She was wearing a face mask and I was standing the recommended six feet from her. I was wearing a mask as well. I also wear something else: hearing aids.

According to the Center for Hearing and Communication, about 48 million Americans suffer from hearing loss. And about a third of people over 65 (of which I belong) have hearing loss. 

I often rely on reading a person's mouth when they are talking so I don't misunderstand what they're saying. That is negated when someone is wearing a mask. I can't read their lips. 

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying people shouldn't wear the mouth-and-nose covering. I'm a strong advocate of masks and have written about it in the past. I get perturbed when I see people walking around bare-faced in enclosed public places, retail stores, or wherever.

All I'm suggesting is that people speak up when addressing each other. Sometimes the voice behind the mask comes out garbled or mumbled. Most of the time, I'll ask the person to repeat what they've said. Other times, I'll let it pass if it's just mindless chatter. 

I would imagine that even those without hearing problems might have difficulty picking up what others are saying when one is soft-spoken or mumbles a lot. Some folks are self-conscious about wearing hearing aids (I'm not) or try to hide their hearing problems, so please that into consideration as well when talking to others. Admittedly, I sometimes rely on my wife to be my second set of ears.

While I miss the facial expressions, especially the smiles, being covered by masks, it's also the clear sounds that are being muffled.

So speak up and let yourself be heard loud and clear. 

Until the next time . . .




 

1 comment: