Monday, February 22, 2021

Officially Part of the Herd

 After several false starts, I finally received my COVID-19 vaccination today. Icy and snowy conditions prevented me from three previous appointments at the Franklin County Health Department. 

Today the sun was shining on me, literally and figuratively.

Wearing vaccination badge

As of Feb. 22, I'm one of 44 million Americans who have received at least the first shot; 19 million have been injected with two shots, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

It's a relief to be vaccinated although I still have to wait another 28 days for my second shot. I know of people who have had the disease and a few who did not survive. 

So far, more than 500,000 Americans, including more than 4,600 in my native Kentucky, have lost their lives from the effects of the novel coronavirus. That's more than the total of those U.S. citizens who died in World War I, World War II, the Korean Conflict, and the Vietnam War. Those are staggering numbers to comprehend.

It's a shame that the ineptitude of our government the past year didn't do more to educate our citizens about the disease and the simple ways to prevent the spread. It has been estimated the 40 percent of those lives (200k) could have been prevented if proper and prudent action had been taken. 

I haven't felt any side effects from the vaccine. I understand that those in my age group may suffer fewer problems because of a declining immune response. I'm guessing that is good. The only thing I noticed was my daily nap where I slept 90 minutes rather than my usual 45. 

Check out this article from AARP if you have questions and concerns about the vaccine. If we're going to lick this 21st century scourge, we need to work together and that includes getting vaccinated, wearing masks, and maintaining a safe social distancing until we'out of the woods with the herd immunity. 

I'm proud to be part of the herd.

Until the next time . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment