Thursday, February 11, 2021

Putting a Freeze Hold on Vaccination

I had been looking forward to today since this past Sunday. That's when I scheduled my COVID-19 vaccination at the Franklin County Health Department. 

Then the freezing rain came yesterday, leaving a glistening and icy cover throughout much of Kentucky and surrounding states. I had the bright idea earlier that morning of backing my car out of the garage before things got too bad and leaving it at the top of the driveway so I could pull out on the salt-treated street and be on my merry way to the health department.

But I was too late, When I backed out my car, it kept going backward—off the driveway to the backyard. I wasn't too concerned because I thought I would be able to get traction on the grass and drive up the side of the driveway. Needless to say, the grass and ground were freezing and slick. Even having my wife push the car from the rear didn't help (just kidding, she was behind the wheel while I pushed.)

Fortunately, I was able to reschedule my appointment for tomorrow afternoon. I'm hoping temps will rise to the mid-30s today and melt some of the stuff. It's probably wishful thinking since the forecast calls for a high of 30 and mostly cloudy. As I write this, it's 25 and overcast. The forecast for Friday is a high of 35 and partly sunny. 

Ever since the vaccines were announced back in November, I've been waiting for my time to face the needle. Every time I got a little sniffle, tiny cough, or some minor aches and pains, I was somewhat concerned that I could have symptoms and be the next coronavirus victim. I have friends and relatives who contracted the virus; if it happened to them, it could happen to me. 

I read this morning that about one in three Americans aren't sure they will be vaccinated. I'm telling you now that I'm in the two of three Americans category who will get the shot. I don't want to be a spreader of the potentially deadly disease that has claimed nearly 475,000 lives in the past year.

Until the next time . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment