Saturday, February 4, 2012

A Blog About Nothing

One of my all-time favorite TV shows is "Seinfeld." I still watch reruns and reruns of reruns, and probably reruns of reruns of reruns, and still find it funny.

There always seems to be something I see that I missed on an episode (no doubt, that could be said of a lot of things in life that I missed the first or second time, but that's another blog).

"Seinfeld" has often been called a "show about nothing" although we know that's far from the truth. For me, it contained subtle moralizing but in reverse, showing the vain, narcissistic, and selfish sides of human nature in a humorous way. Don't we all see ourselves to some degree in the characters?

You could even argue that the sitcom revealed the seven deadly sins -- wrath, greed, sloth, pride, lust, envy, and gluttony -- in a variety of ways. I'm not sure if there was much redemption for Jerry and his gang because they usually suffered in the end for their shortcomings.

And a big reason for "Seinfeld's" success is the writing. Jerry Seinfeld, Larry David and their team of writers were masters of dialogue and characterization in bringing the show to life on the small screen.

Until the next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment