After watching the Academy Awards last Sunday evening, it made me think about issues of self-censorship and age appropriateness.
I know that Seth MacFarlane, who served as master of ceremonies, is a cutting-edge kind of guy. That’s probably the main reason he was selected to M.C. the program, hoping his unpredictability factor would attract viewers. And the ratings were up.
But was he edgy or did he go over the edge?
I suppose that’s a matter of taste, something that's very subjective. I’ve read comments by viewers on various websites. Some thought he was great, something thought he was hilarious, something that he was terrible, and some wondered what he was thinking with his comments.
As it pertains to writing, I wondered if he and his team of writers really gave more than superficial thought to how folks would react to his quips and production numbers?
Let me say here that I like MacFarlane. I think he's smart, funny, outrageous. I thought his movie, "Ted," was hilarious. And I think the Ted skit with Mark Wahlberg was one of the highlights of the Oscars telecast.
But I thought the joke about actor John Wilkes Booth getting into Abraham Lincoln's head was in poor taste - and I don't care if it happened nearly 150 years ago. It was a tragedy in 1865, and not something to laugh about in 2013. I don't hear people joking about Pearl Harbor, John F. Kennedy, or attacks on 9-11.
The opening number, the silly and sophomoric "We Saw Your Boobs," would have been more appropriate for a PG-13 movie, premium cable, or late-night commercial TV after the kiddies have gone to bed. At the least, perhaps a parental warning before the telecast.
But let me say that I was impressed with MacFarlane's singing and dancing.
As for the Oscars, I thought the program was too long. The salute to the 50th anniversary of the James Bond franchise was dreadful with the exception of Shirley Bassey and Adele. 
I really don't know why there must be as full-blown production. I think most people would be content with a broadcast of no longer than two hours, simply showcasing the movies and stars.
What are your thoughts?