Friday, July 12, 2013

Signed, Sealed and Delivered

I signed the contract for my manuscript, put it in a legal-size envelope, and mailed it to the publisher this week. If everything goes as planned, it will become a book for young adults on Oct. 1.

The book has been assigned ISBN numbers for print and electronic editions. 

Before publication day, there's more work to be done. At this point I'm completing forms that will be part of the marketing and promotion plan and the cover design for the publisher. That involves providing a synopsis, blurbs, excerpt, bio, keywords, cover ideas, and a dedication.

I'll be doing some self-promotion as well. I generally have bookmarks and postcards printed for distribution to friends, bookstores, and libraries. And I'll be spreading the word on Facebook, Twitter and other social-media sites and reader-writer sites such as Goodreads, Authors for LibrariesAuthors Den, Shelfari, and Manic Readers.

As many authors will tell you, promotion and marketing can seem as time intensive as it was writing the book. Most authors would probably prefer not to do it -- they'd rather be writing-- but it's a necessity if a book is going to have a chance in the marketplace because publishers have only so much money to go around. 

I'll also be working with an editor in getting the manuscript ready for publication. And then I'll receive the galley proof for one last read. 

By the time the book is released, I want to hit the ground with some momentum. 

I've already started the promotion. Look at the bottom of this post for the Countdownr widget. I'll be watching it as well during the coming weeks.

Until the next time...




No comments:

Post a Comment