Sunday, December 22, 2013

Story Songs: December Snow

Ten years ago the Moody Blues released a Christmas album called "December." Among the songs were the traditional "White Christmas," John and Yoko Lennon's "Happy Xmas (War is Over)" as well as some of their own compositions.

My favorite is Justin Hayward's "December Snow," probably the only entry that can be played other times of the year. Those who've been to a Moodies concert in the past 10 years have probably heard Justin perform this bittersweet song.

For me, Hayward's heartfelt lyrics about the seasons are metaphors about warmth of friendship and love and the coldness that comes when that person has left your life.

The song begins:

"Like December snow
That lays in the wood
You're gone too soon
I knew you should"

And then he writes:

"With October skies
You brought your love
But November came
Taking  all I have
And
Time,  take this sadness from me
Time, bring my heart back safely
Hold on to warm September
'Cos life can be like December snow."

There is a piano solo, probably by Danilo Madonia, that conveys the bleakness and emptiness of the time. 

And the song closes with:

"Time,  take this sadness from me
Time, bring my heart back safely
Hold on to warm September
'Cos life can be like December snow."

For lots of folks, there is a sadness that comes during this time of the year when many reflect on their blessings as well as their losses. And there is seasonal  affective disorder -- or SAD -- that people experience during the winter months.

I hope your holidays are filled with joy and happiness.

"December Snow" lyrics

Live

Studio 

Until the next time...













No comments:

Post a Comment