Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Story Songs: Goin' Out of My Head

One of my favorite bittersweet love songs is "Goin' Out of My Head,"  recorded by Little Anthony and the Imperials in 1964.


The song, written by Teddy Randazzo and Bobby Weinstein, expresses feelings about falling for someone who apparently thinks you're invisible.

It opens with:



"Well, I think I'm goin' out of my head
Yes, I think I'm goin' out of my head
Over you, over you
I want you to want me, I need you so badly
I can't think of anything but you"

Alas, that person looks straight past you when you meet:


"I see you each morning
But you just walk past me
You don't even know that I exist"

And it appears that the narrator is simply too bashful to make a positive impression:


"I must think of a way into your heart
There's no reason why
My being shy should keep us apart
And I think I'm goin' out of my head"

I'm sure a lot of folks have had crushes on someone who barely acknowledged them or maybe wouldn't give them the time of day. We all know it can hurt. 

"Little Anthony" Gourdine captures the heartfelt plea of the song with his silky smooth falsetto voice. The song reach No. 6 on the Billboard chart.

The song has been covered numerous times, from Petula Clark to Queen Latifah to the Classics IV to Frank Sinatra. I recently heard an outstanding cover by Under the Streetlamp. That's what prompted me to write this post, because while listening I thought, "Wow, what a great song" (or something like that).

But the best and definitive version, in my opinion, is by Little Anthony and the Imperials. 

By the way, Little Anthony and the Imperials, who had numerous hits in the 1950s and '60s, were inducted into the Vocal Group Hall of Fame in 1999 and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2009. And the group is still active and performs at various venues across the country.  


"Goin' Out of My Head" lyrics
















No comments:

Post a Comment