Saturday, October 25, 2014

Pre-NaNoWriMo

National Novel Writing Month is only a week from today.

Since my last post about NaNoWriMo, I've spent some time researching what I plan to write 50,000 or more words about next month. 


While taking a few hours each day in November trying to reach that goal can feel like writing from the seat of your pants, and it seems that way early in the process, the ride can be a bit less choppy if you take time to prepare before putting words on the screen. I keep a notebook -- before, during, and after the 30-day marathon.

First of all, you need to have an idea about the story line. Some folks may find it easier by having a rough outline. I generally jot down some notes so I know the direction I want to take when I head down that wordy highway. I don't want to get lost midway through the journey.

I want to know the protagonist, antagonist and other major characters. I'll know what they look like, general attitudes about various and sundry things, and what makes them tick. 

As for minor characters, they will show their faces during the course of the novel. I try to minimize the number of characters because I don't want to confuse the readers with a slew of names. It's confusing enough to remember folks in real life.

I'll know where and when the story takes place, the colors and smells, and most everything else in creating the scenes. 

As with my previous novels, the story will take twists and turns (plots and subplots) and I'll be along for the ride and try to keep it on  course.

I will say this novel will be a departure from my last two, which were targeted for young adults. This one will be aimed for boomers, or as some call it, boomer lit. 

My first four other novels were about boomers dealing with various issues in their lives. I'm just not ready to write about vampires, werewolves, and zombies, but who knows, maybe that's a story I'll pursue in the future.

In the meantime, I'm glad to have my creative juices flowing again on a new novel. 

Until the next time... 

No comments:

Post a Comment