Friday, October 17, 2014

Preparing for NaNoWriMo

It's been a busy two months or so and I must confess that I haven't accomplished much on the creative side of writing.

I've written some posts to this blog, mostly about my recent two-week vacation to the western United States, and some other items related to the Kentucky Book Fair, of which I'm the marketing chair. 

But in the next two weeks I plan to prepare myself for the November writing marathon known as the National Novel Writing Month, or NaNoWriMo (sometimes I think it's easier to remember the proper name than the acronym). 

Two years ago I plunged into the grueling exercise -- the goal is to produce 50,000 words in 30 days -- which resulted in a novel, The Bully List


It was rough, raw and ragged when I finished the first draft, and I didn't look at it for five months. Then I decided to give it a read, and while it needed work, I was generally pleased with the effort.

So I took the next three months of rewriting and editing to get it in shape, submitted to my publisher, and then went through another round of edits with my editor. 

It wasn't the same manuscript that I had finished on the last day of November, thank goodness! It was transformed into a book for young adults.

So I'm going to venture into those semi-unknown waters again and see what happens. Why don't you join me?

Until the next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment