Friday, October 10, 2014

Riding the Rails -- Muir Woods and Sausalito

When I was a child I dreamed of seeing redwoods after reading about these magnificent trees in textbooks, travel books, magazines and encyclopedias.
Among the giant redwoods


That dream came true on my trip to California when we visited John Muir Woods, named after the naturalist who was one of the founders of the Sierra Club in 1892. 

And I wasn't disappointed.
The trails that wind through the woods.

The redwoods were as tall and beautiful as I had seen them in photographs many years ago.  And to walk among those ancient trees -- some more than a thousand years old and 350-feet tall -- along the quiet and tranquil trails only heightened the experience.  

It's certainly something I'll never forget. It was one of the reasons I wanted to make this trip to America's west coast.
The marina at Sausalito

After spending a couple hours in the woods, the tour bus took us to upscale and swanky Sausalito -- situated across the Golden Gate Bridge from San Francisco.


Sausalito shops
There is a picturesque marina to accommodate the sailboats and yachts, a great view of San Francisco Bay, an assortment of tony shops and pricey restaurants, and a laid-back feel to the whole place.

It's a scenic stopover between San Francisco and John Muir Woods.

Until the next time...







No comments:

Post a Comment