Saturday, January 31, 2015

Back to the Beginning

My current work in progress remains a work in progress, but I'm going back to the beginning of the manuscript.

As mentioned in previous posts, the storyline has drifted way off in a different direction from where it started. So my plan is to make this either a serial or two separate novels. It could even evolve into more than two. Time will tell.


The problem, if it is one, is that a subplot has developed into a major storyline. That's what happens, at least with me, when characters grow and develop. 

That being said, my other novels contain elements that could be developed into another novel. I've often been asked if I plan to do sequels to particular novels. That's always a possibility although I prefer to break ground with new stories.  

With this manuscript, I plan to go back to the beginning and start the edit and rewrite while continuing to work on the second storyline. 

Of course, I don't know how all this will end. I may have two novels or perhaps scrap one or both of the stories if I'm not satisfied with the end result(s).

You might even say it's the beginning of the end or the end of the beginning or new beginnings. Whatever, I'm looking forward to reaching the end.

Until the next time...



2 comments:

  1. I love it when a completely new avenue opens up in a new work. That said, I have a whole list of potential novels, I actively intended to begin but never did. Still, if all ideas finally disappear, I know where to go and look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm inclined to agree with you, Roger, because it shows the creative juices are flowing and that the characters have come to life on the pages. I have a couple discarded manuscripts that will probably never see the light of day unless I rework them into short stories (these manuscripts ran out of steam). The thing I don't like about the work in progress is that the new avenue is moving into uncharted territory.

      Delete