Thursday, September 3, 2015

Back to the Manuscript: Part 15

Today my edited manuscript returns to the editor for additional proofreading. Everything seems to be moving along nicely for the Oct. 1 release date. 

The edited manuscript was sent to me several weeks ago. I considered the comments and suggestions. I made all the grammatical corrections and several rewrites on some passages.

It can be a humbling experience.

I was amazed -- more like stunned -- with some of the mistakes I made on the manuscript. I thought I had used the "find and replace" command to make some of the changes before submitting the manuscript, but apparently I hadn't or didn't save the changes. I paid for my careless self-editing.

Do I enjoy this stage of the publishing process? Not really. I'm glad grammatical mistakes and typographical errors are fixed but have mixed feelings about comments because they are subjective. I give them some serious thought and act on the ones I believe will improve the story. 

It's much like a writer submitting his or her manuscript to agents or publishing houses. Some folks like it, some are indifferent and some hate the manuscript. You try not to take it personally, but it can sting a bit until you move on to something else. 

And you hope the editor doesn't take it personally as well. It's all part of the publishing process. 

I perused the manuscript three times before sending it back to the editor. I could probably go over it again, but with the publication deadline looming in a few weeks, it was time to let it go.

The next stage, if everything goes as planned, involves the book cover. I hope to share that with you in next post about the manuscript.

Until the next time....



No comments:

Post a Comment