Thursday, February 25, 2016

Needing a Kickstart on WIP

I must confess that I haven't made much progress on my work in progress. For the past few weeks I've started, stalled, and stopped.

And since I'm a pantser, you might say that I need a swift kick in the backside to get going again.  I've had a few things on my mind lately so I suppose that's a good rationale (or excuse) for my sorry status.

I'm not trying to elicit some sympathy because my lack of production at the keyboard is of my doing. As I've posted before, this WIP is a sequel to "Old Ways and New Days." I've already written more than 20,000 words.

So I'm going to do what I would tell someone if they were in this predicament -- start writing. Simply do it!

I've generally been a morning writer, getting to the computer before daybreak with a cup of coffee in hand and then producing sentences and paragraphs for several hours. I'm going to change my routine and write in the late morning. Or early afternoon.

I believe part of the problem is that I'm retired from the regular work force (I'm not sure honey-dos count). When I was employed, time was of the essence so I adhered to a strict writing regimen to get things done. Now I have all the time in the world, so to speak, and I'm losing control of it. I need to refocus because time is still of the essence -- at my age.

I know what I need to write,  and even have a rough outline on where I want to go with the story. So it's as simple as getting back on track and setting aside the time to do it.

It's time to get back to work.

Until the next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment