Sunday, February 14, 2016

Some Sweet Songs for Valentine's Day

What I enjoy about love songs for Valentine's Day is that they can last a lifetime. A box of candy may be gone in a few hours. Flowers wilt. Diamonds  may last forever, but who needs something that will be around longer than mere mortals (don't answer that, ladies!)? 

So here are a few songs I've enjoyed through the years that I believe are sweet, tender and touch the heart -- for a lifetime. 


Canadian Anne Murray sang about everlasting love in her "Could I Have This Dance," written by Wayland Holyfield and Bob House. The crossover hit reached No. 1 on the Billboard Country Chart and No. 33 on the Hot 100 in 1980. It also garnered a Grammy Award and was used in the movie, "Urban Cowboy."


"I'll always remember the song they were playin'
The first time we danced and I knew
As we swayed to the music and held to each other
I fell in love with you"



One of the greatest love songs in the rock era was written by Tony Asher and Brian Wilson of The Beach Boys -- "God Only Knows,"  released on the group's masterpiece "Pet Sounds" album in 1966.


"I may not always love you
But as long as there are stars about you
You never need to doubt it
I'll make you so sure about it"



The Beatles' George Harrison also penned a beautiful love ballad in "Something," from the Abbey Road album in 1969. It was a No. 1 hit for the quiet Beatle.


"Something in the way she moves
Attracts me like no other lover
Something in the way she woos me
I don't want to leave her now
You know I believe and how"


And how can you put together a list of love songs and not include Elvis Presley. My choice is "Can't Help Falling in Love," a chart topper for the King in 1961, from his "Blue Hawaii" album.  The song was written by Hugo Peretti, Luigi Creatore, and George David Weiss. 


"Take my hand, take my whole life too
For I can't help falling in love with you"



And finally, "Unchained Melody," a No. 4 song by Bobby Hatfield of The Righteous Brothers in 1965. The tune was written by Alex North and Hy Zaret. The emotionally charged tune was used in the blockbuster movie, "Ghost."


"Oh, my love, my darling
I've hungered, for your touch"


Those are a few of the many songs that touched my heart and soul. What are your favorite love songs?

Until the next time...









No comments:

Post a Comment