Friday, March 4, 2016

Story Songs -- Some Friendly Tunes

Some of the most uplifting tunes are those about friendship. Aside from food and water, having friends helps sustain us through life's journey.

Friends are special. They brighten our days with their presence,  lift us up when we're down, and enhance our memories when we reflect on our lives. 

There are quite a few friendship songs that I've enjoyed through the years, so many that I can't include them all in this post. More will come later. 

Here are some of my favorites:

The Beach Boys -- "Friends"
No. 47 in 1968
Written by Brian Wilson, Carl Wilson, Dennis Wilson and Al Jardine

"We been friends now for so many years
We've been together through the good times and the tears
Turned each other on to the good things that life has to give"



Queen -- "You're My Best Friend"
No. 16 in 1976
Written by John Deacon

"Oh, you're the best friend I ever had
I've been with you such a long time
You're my sunshine and I want you to know
That my feelings are true
I really love you
Oh you're my best friend"



James Taylor -- "You've Got a Friend"
No. 1 in 1971
Written by Carole King

"You just call out my name
And you know wherever I am
I'll come running, to see you again
Winter, spring, summer or fall
All you have to do is call
And I'll be there
You've got a friend"



Simon & Garfunkel -- "Old Friends"
Released in 1968 on "Bookends" album
Written by Paul Simon

"Old friends
Memory brushes the same years
Silently sharing the same fear"



Andrew Gold -- "Thank You for Being a Friend"
No. 25 in 1978
Written by Andrew Gold

"And when we both get older
With walking canes and hair of gray
Have no fear, even though it's hard to hear
I will stand real close and say,
Thank you for being a friend"



Kenny Loggins and Stevie Nicks -- "Whenever I Call You Friend"
No. 5 in 1978
Written by Kenny Loggins and Melissa Manchester

"Whenever I call you friend
I believe I've come to understand
Everywhere we are
You and I were meant to be
Forever and ever"



The Zombies -- "Friends of Mine"
Released in 1968 on "Odyssey and Oracle" album
Written by Chris White

"It feels so good to know two people
So in love...
So in love..."



More to come later, my friends.

Until the next time...










No comments:

Post a Comment