Saturday, January 13, 2018

Making Progress on Manuscript


I'm back in the writing mode in 2018, working on the third book in the "John Ross Boomer Lit Novel" series.

I've written every day since Jan. 1, except for one day, and honestly, I got so busy with other things that it slipped my mind. Poor excuse, but the truth. I've been writing at different times of the day, but the most productive is in the mornings.


Ken Follett
While I'm not going to set a timetable for completing the first draft, I do plan for this novel to be around 75,000 words. Perhaps fewer. And I plan for it to be published this year. I believe that most readers prefer shorter works (yes, there are exceptions but I'm not Ken Follett or Stephen King).  





Time is of the essence for readers and there are too many books and too little time to read as much as we'd like, and too many other things vying for their attention. Furthermore, James Patterson seems to be doing well with shorter works.





Stephen King
My last novel, "Darkness Beyond the Light," clicked in at around 94k words. "Old Ways and New Days," the first book in the series. was about 85k. My longest book was "Foolish Is the Heart," which had 101k words. The shortest, "The Touch," had about 75k.


We'll see how it goes.

***

Now on to something else. I've given away several books in Goodreads and Amazon promotions. Lots of authors do the same. The purpose is promotion. 

John Grisham
Another goal is for reviews. I'm asking readers out there to help out your favorite authors by leaving ratings and/or reviews of their books. Especially when you've received them in giveaways. Many authors, especially the indies, have to spend their own dime, and it can be costly.


Richard Ford
So when an author is spreading the love by giving away a new release, I'm asking the recipient to do the same by writing a review (it can only be two or three sentences) and rating on your favorite book sites. Furthermore, if you really, really love the book, tell your friends and fellow readers because word of mouth is probably the best promotion for authors.
Anne Tyler

I recall back in the early '90s when a friend (Cam) raved about John Grisham. I searched for his books (I believe he had written only two at the time) and became a life-long fan.  The same goes for the late Sue Grafton.






Bobbie Ann Mason


I've done the same with contemporary writers I like such as Richard Ford and Anne Tyler; Kentucky authors Bobbie Ann Mason, Bill Noel, Christopher Helvey, Steve Flairty, Crystal Wilkinson, Tom Wallace, and others; and new finds such as Joanna Foreman. 

Crystal Wilkinson
So, readers, I'm asking you to spread your love of reading by writing reviews and telling others about your favorite authors and books.

Until the next time. . . . 





Bill Noel

Steve Flairty
Joanna Foreman
Christopher Helvey
Tom Wallace















No comments:

Post a Comment