Sunday, April 1, 2018

Spotlight on Herman's Hermits

While I was busy doing some decluttering this afternoon, Herman's Hermits' "I'm Henry VIII, I Am" came on Pandora. Before I realized, I was singing along with the feel-good ditty.

Herman's Hermits
And I recalled a PBS's fundraiser a month or so ago, featuring HH's lead singer Peter Noone as one featured acts and how he had a packed auditorium singing a rousing rendition of the tune with him.

It made me wonder why the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame ignores uplifting and fun artists such as Herman's Hermits, Tommy Roe, and The Monkees, who are often labeled as "bubblegum" performers.

If Herman's Hermits were bubblegum, then chew on this: 
Noone and his bandmates recorded 18 songs that reached the U.S. Top 40 from 1964-68, including No.1's "Mrs. Brown, You've Got a Lovely Daughter"  and "I'm Henry VIII, I Am," both in 1965.

Other noteworthy songs include No. 2 "Can't You Hear My Heartbeat" in 1965, No. 3 "Listen People" in 1966, No. 4s "Wonderful World" in 1965 and "There's a Kind of Hush" in 1967, and No. 5 "Dandy" in 1966. Their first hit, "I'm Into Something Good," written by Gerry Goffin and Carole King, topped the UK charts in 1964.

Maybe it's time for the RRHoF to give Herman's Hermits and a few other groups a lot more respect.  

Here are a few videos of this wonderful group (be sure to watch the last one):








Until the next time . . .










1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete