Thursday, December 31, 2020

Sayonara 2020

It's almost over,  2020 that is.

It's the year that will live in infamy around the world as millions of lives have been disrupted, put on hold, or come to a heartbreaking end, by the coronavirus pandemic. In my lifetime, it's difficult to remember any event that has had such a far-reaching effect for such a long time.

I recall the Cuban Missile Crisis in 1962 when it appeared that much of the world was on the brink of nuclear annihilation. There have been other health scares but they didn't reach the proportion and magnitude of the ever-expanding COVID-19 outbreak that promises to be around for the foreseeable future.

Several economic meltdowns impacted many lives but didn't leave thousands dead or massive suffering in their wake. And there have been weather catastrophes, but they've been limited, for the most part, to specific parts of the world. Unless, of course, we view climate change as an Earth-altering phenomenon.

There's been political turmoil that has left people upset, angry, or sad, depending on one's views. Can the new year bring about civility and healing? Or will people wallow in their hate and divisiveness?  

I don't know what 2021 will bring in the coming months. COVID-19 vaccines are being dispersed throughout the world, but with 7 billion inhabitants, that may take a while. I should receive mine in February (I guess age has its privileges in some instances). It brings about a glimmer of hope that life will eventually return to some degree of normalcy.

The past year hasn't been a total wash for me. My wife and I have been relatively healthy (no COVID-19). I've been able to see my sons and their families. I had occasional visits with good friends (keeping a safe distance, of course). I've made a few instate day trips to help satisfy my photography habit. I completed one novel (to be published Feb. 1) and wrote the first draft of another. And I was able to complete some things on my wife's neverending honey-do list.

If things go as planned (do they ever?), my wife and I will travel to eastern Europe this spring, a trip that was postponed in 2020. And if the overall outlook gets even brighter (a hopeless optimist?), we may visit Portugal in the fall.  We're also looking at some domestic trips, perhaps to Washington, D.C., or the far western states. Only time will tell.

I'm also looking forward to extended time with family and friends. A few hugs and shared laughter will serve as a strong tonic to move on with our lives in 2021 and beyond. It'll be nice to return to favorite restaurants and movie theaters, to be among others, if still at a safe distance and probably with masks. I also miss music concerts and theatre productions which I hope will return in the new year. 

I'm ready to put 2020 behind me, much like I do other years, and move ahead on life's journey. How about you?

Until the next time . . .





No comments:

Post a Comment