Monday, January 25, 2021

A Novel Approach for Me

I took a different approach in reviewing the first draft of my 11th novel, written last November during the  NaNoWriMo challenge. It's a strategy I wish I had learned earlier in my writing career.

For those unfamiliar with NaNoWriMo, short for National Novel Writing Month, the goal is to write a novel, with a minimum of 50,000 words (more like a draft), in 30 days. As usual, I sat on the 50k words for about six weeks to figuratively catch my breath as well as let the story sink into my subconscious while I celebrated the holiday season or as much as one could during the pandemic.

But when I returned to the novel, I didn't start rewriting and editing as I have done on previous books. What I did was simple—I read it. 

I'm not sure where I got the advice, but my guess would be from one of Elizabeth Spann Craig's wonderful weekly Twitterfric posts. I recommend all writers subscribe to her blog because it contains some of the best resources for writers. She's also a bestselling cozy mystery author.

I did find a blog post written by Kristen Kieffer in 2015 that recommends: "Once you've let your first draft cool off for a bit, it's time to read through what you've written. During this time, resist the urge to take notes or make changes. read simply to reacquaint yourself with your work and try your best not to throw your manuscript out the window." Kristen has other good points so I suggest you read her complete post. 

I confess that I took a few rudimentary notes such as writing the names of the characters and making corrections to several glaring grammatical errors. But my primary purpose was to feel the flow of the story and see if it was a good read, as objectively as I could.

Needless to say, I like the story, the fifth in my John Ross Boomer Lit series. The fourth novel, Make Room for Family, will be released on Feb. 1. (For those interested, the ebook can be preordered on Amazon; the print edition will be available on publication date). 

I'll return to the manuscript today and begin the rewrite process that I hope won't take as long as previous efforts (sometimes up to 12 rewrites). If I had only taken this approach with my other novels.

Oh well, it only goes to show you aren't too old to learn something new. Now if I can only remember to do it with my next novel.

Until the next time . . .






1 comment: