Sunday, January 31, 2021

Ready to Launch New Novel

 The journey to publication for my 10th novel, and fourth in the John Ross Boomer Lit series, is over with the release of Make Room for Family on Feb. 1.

I've spent the past few months promoting the novel on Facebook, Twitter, and several other social media outlets. For those who follow this blog, you've read occasional posts about the progress from start to finish in the writing process. I hope it's been helpful.  


This afternoon (Jan. 31)  I drove to the post office and mailed 100 postcards to friends, readers, libraries, and bookstores. They probably should have been mailed sooner but there were some extenuating circumstances that prevented me from taking care of that chore. I have several hundred more that will be going out in the coming week. (If you'd like a postcard, and live in the U.S., send your address to michael.embry@gmail.com with "Postcard" in the subject line.) 


Promotion and marketing are important aspects of book publishing that a lot of authors don't enjoy. You can count me among the dissenters but it's something an author must do if the book is going to come to the attention of potential readers. I'm sure you've seen some of the big-time authors getting the word out about their latest releases. In the past, I've used Facebook but I'm open to other venues if the price is right for my limited budget.

Other vital tools appreciated by authors are word-of-mouth and ratings and reviews of their books. Even in these solitary times, I stay in contact with various friends and we make book recommendations and sometimes mention books we didn't especially like. 

Whenever I read a book, I always leave a rating, and usually a review, on Amazon, Goodreads, and other sites. I also read reviews that others leave on books I may purchase. Other places I peruse for book recommendations and reviews are magazines, newspapers, and websites. 

I also watch Book TV on CSPAN and listen to literary podcasts when I have the time. Although in-person appearances and book signings have been put on hold the past year, it has afforded the opportunity to view interviews and discussions on Zoom and Skype. 

With Make Room for Family launched into the book stratosphere  I'll be turning my attention to rewriting and editing the fifth book in the series. You can find the novel on Amazon, Wings ePress, and other sites. The print edition may lag a day or so. I'll also offer signed editions in the coming weeks.

Until the next time . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment