Saturday, June 30, 2012

Goose Egg



It wasn't the best of days for me at the Horse Cave BookFest. But it wasn't the worst of days either. I'm sure most of the authors would say the same.
 
For me, I didn't sell a single book. Kenneth Turner, sitting at my table, sold one. Bill Ellis, across from me, sold two.

But the day wasn't a total waste. I spent four hours on the road -- going to and from -- but during that time I thought about some story ideas (please, to those in the United States, I wasn't texting!).

The HCB had to combat 100-degree weather, which no doubt kept some people away. And being the inaugural event, I'm sure the word didn't get out as well as it could have been to folks in the area.

The venue was a bit cramped for the 100 or so authors and publishers. I think that might have been intimidating to potential book buyers when they looked inside are realized they were outnumbered. I was told the organizers had to move the event to a smaller place because the air conditioning went out at the original location.

Although I didn't have any customers -- and honestly, I really didn't expect many since I'm not from the area -- I was still able to talk shop with several authors and meet a few others.

Some of the other authors I got to chat with were Steve Vest, Tim Callahan, Bill Noel, Carleton Jackson, Lynwood Montell, Ann Gabhart, Katerina Stoykova-Klemer, Karen Angelucci, Virginia Davis, and Larry Moore. Check out their books at your library or online.

Thanks to the folks at The Bookstore and Two Bears and a Dog Books (how many towns with a populati0n of 2,250 have two bookstores?) and other volunteers for putting on the event. Stop by and visit the stores when you're in the vicinity.

I'm sure the 2013 event will be bigger and better.

Until the next time...

1 comment:

  1. You went, you saw, you'll go again. An experience like this is always a good thing!

    ReplyDelete