Saturday, August 24, 2013

Memory Lane

The other night I attended the Happy Together Tour at the Kentucky State Fair that featured several oldies acts from the 1960s. 

Most of those in attendance were oldies -- like me. A few folks brought their (grand) children. It was a fun time, for the most part, especially watching folks sing and dance to the music. A very brief rain didn't spoil the festivities.


Mark Lindsay performs during the Happy Together Tour.
The performers were Flo and Eddie of The Turtles, Gary Puckett (and the Union Gap), Gary Lewis (and the Playboys), Chuck Negron (Three Dog Night) and Mark Lindsay (Paul Revere and the Raiders).  All the guys are in their 60s and 70s. 

Needless to say, some of the singers don't have the pipes they had back in their heyday, but they still gave it their best to entertain the crowd. And even if they couldn't hit the highs or lows, for me, the songs were playing inside my head so I didn't mind it. 

For me, and I'm sure for many of the other baby boomers, the concert was a stroll down memory lane with songs such as "Joy to the World," "Young Girl," "This Diamond Ring," "Indian Reservation," and, of course,  "Happy Together."

Thanks for the memories.

Until the next time...

2 comments:

  1. It seems like you spent a lovely evening Michael :)
    It´s kind of funny how I relate with what you say, because nowadays when my nephews and nieces hear the music I love, they say "ah oldies but goodies" :/ but like you say , thanks for the memories :) I really enjoy your entries, and I do watch the videos you share, eventhough I don´t always leave a comment, xoxo Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Elizabeth. I'm sure you'll agree that good music is often timeless music. We're both fortunate to have been surrounded by so many excellent musicians and singers in our lifetime.

    ReplyDelete