Thursday, August 29, 2013

Story Songs: Lady

There have been several "Lady" songs recorded by such luminaries as Kenny Rogers, Lionel Ritchie (who also wrote the Kenny Rogers hit), and the group, Styx. 


My favorite is by the underrated Australian group, Little River Band, in 1978. The song, written by founding band member Graeham Goble, reached No. 10 on the Billboard Hot 100 in the United States.

 The song opens with a guy recalling a special woman:


"A long time ago
I had a lady to love
She made me think of things
I never thought of
Now she's gone and I'm on my own
A love song has come into my mind
A love song
It was there all the time"

And he realizes that he would like her back in his life:


"And I love you best
You're not like the rest
You're there when I need  you
You're there when I need
I'm gonna need you"

And then he proclaims that he wants her back in life:


"I think it's only fair I should say to 
Don't be thinkin' I don't want you
'Cause maybe I do
Don't be thinkin' I don't want you
Lady I do"

I was fortunate to see LRB in concert at the Executive Inn Rivermont in Owensboro, Ky., in the mid-1990s. Lead singer Glenn Shorrock was with the band along with two other original members. They put on a fabulous show.

"Lady" is one of  LRB's most played tunes on radio, second only to "Reminiscing." Both were on their "Sleeper Catcher" album.

LRB, a band with wonderful harmonies and solid musicianship, was inducted into the Australian Recording Industry Association's Hall of Fame in 2004.

"Lady" lyrics 



No comments:

Post a Comment