Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Happy New Year

Another year has started. Even though we're 14 years into the 21st century, it still seems odd to me to write or see 2014. I suppose that's because I've spent most of my life in the 20th century -- and most likely will have most of my years in past century when my time here has ended.

I really don't put much faith in new year's resolutions. I tend to resolve any needed changes when they get to a point where it's time to do something. If that happens on Feb. 23, May 9, August 17, or whatever date, that's when I do something about it.

Like most folks, especially here  in America, I hope to lose some weight this year. But I also know from previous efforts -- some successful and some not -- that it's a lose-some, gain-some effort. It's an ongoing thing with me. You simply have to stick to it until you're within a ballpark range of your desired weight. And more power to you if you ultimately reach your goal.

I plan to get more physically fit. I'll do this by enrolling in a program or two at the local YMCA. I'll stay with my regular regimen of walking, hiking, yard work and other physical activities.

And I also want to be more mentally fit through reading, writing, and challenges that will keep me sharp and focused. Another way will be by staying engaged with friends, family, coworkers, and perhaps a few foes.

Other than those few things, I hope to travel more this year, write another book, perhaps finally learn how to play a guitar, and do some volunteer work. 

But the main goal is to remain active, kinda like the late, great George Jones sang in "I Don't Need Your Rocking Chair":

"I don't need your rockin' chair
Your Geritol or your Medicare
Well, I still got neon in my vein
This gray hair don't mean a thing.

"I do my rockin' on the stage
You can't put this possum in a cage
My body's old but it ain't impaired
I don't need your rockin' chair"


My one resolution is wishing each and everyone a healthy and productive new year!

And now for some George Jones:



Until the next time...



No comments:

Post a Comment