Monday, January 27, 2014

Radio Woes

I was listening to the radio tonight while preparing dinner. For those who read my blog, they know I love music. 

Something that has bothered me for a long time is the lack of information about music played on radio. What I mean  is that the disc jockeys, or whomever plays the music, very seldom mentions the artist, or at least, the name of the song.

I heard several songs that I thought were very good, perhaps prompting me to purchase the music. But it's kinda hard to do that when you don't know who recorded the song. 

I think those folks believe that listeners simply know by osmosis. Yes, there were a few artists I knew such as REM and Hootie and the Blowfish.

I heard something by Lady Gaga, and liked it, and fortunately the disc jockey mentioned her name, but not the title of the song. 

I wonder if record sales would increase if radios would let their listeners know who made the music? Somehow, I believe it would help. 

I grew up in an era when it was customary for the jocks to mention the artist and the title, and in such a way you wouldn't forget. Even songs by the Beatles. 

Until the next time...


4 comments:

  1. I remember those days but being forced to listen to the cacophony emanating from my daughter's alleged earphones these days, I'm not sure I'd want to know who created such a din and, even less who played it.
    Maybe I'm just getting old, and I miss Black Sabbath and White snake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sorta know the feeling, Roger, although my sons are grown and moved away and my granddaughters are too young to listen to modern music. It's funny but I was listening to Black Sabbath on Spotify the other day. I find it difficult to find new artists (for reasons mentioned in the post) so I guess I'll continue with classic rock, classical, and smooth jazz. That's not too shabby to fall back on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with you Michael, I am not too young or too old but back when I was a teen ager in the 90´s it was a big deal to mention the artist and song titles, of course I agree with Roger that many of the "music" nowadays is terrible but once in a while something good and interesting show up and it just sleeps through all the noise on the radio, what a shame!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elizabeth, so it must be something that those in other countries experience as well. It sounds like we may have a worldwide problem that needs to be fixed! ;) At least we have Internet radio that can help us discover new songs and artists.

    ReplyDelete