Thursday, January 23, 2014

Writing Quandary

Sometimes it's difficult to begin a writing project because, well,  you don't know where to begin. 

I've had several ideas bounce around in my head about what I want to write but haven't been able to put down that first word to get me going. I suppose I could start in the middle or the end, and work my way back to a beginning. Even that sounds too confusing.

While I often encourage folks to write with reckless abandon, that's much easier to do when you have know the direction you want to pursue, at least initially. 

I think many writers haven't taken off in one direction, only to head off another way once they get into their story. I know I have. 

I'm also weighing whether to write a young adult or contemporary mainstream novel. The final determination will be the "adult" factor. Perhaps I'm old-fashioned, but I don't like to expose young folks to plot lines before their time. I know other young-adult writers disagree with me on this matter.

Of course, I could multi-task and work on several novels. Maybe one would emerge as the stronger story while the others would be relegated to future projects. 

I do hope to get moving on another manuscript in the next week or so. 

Until the next time...



  

2 comments:

  1. The one you should write is the one which will bug you the most if you don't.
    I've written three Y/A's. It's a difficult market to crack. Maybe you should do that one while you're resting in the middle of writing the one you simply have to do first.

    ReplyDelete