Sunday, July 20, 2014

On the Road





For the past few months my wife, Mary, and I have made what we call  "mini-bucket list" trips to various towns in Kentucky (the only exception has been Madison, Ind., located across the Ohio River).

We try to keep our trips no longer than an hour's drive from our home. We are fortunate in that Kentucky, which was settled in 1774 and became a state in 1792, has a rich and varied history. Each town has its own heritage and distinctiveness.

 We visit a local restaurant for lunch and then we'll spend time walking to see some of the buildings around town. Since most of these places date back to the early 19th century, there are a few historical buildings we see on our short journeys.

I find the architecture fascinating as it ranges from Greek Revival, Federal, Georgian, Italianate and more. No doubt  many buildings were taken down through the years in the name of progress or whatever reason. It's gratifying to see that some historic preservation taking place, although it can be expensive to renovate these buildings.

I also take photos from our trips that I post on my Facebook page. Feel free to check them out. A friend asked me if these photos might be the makings of a new book. While I'm not currently pursuing that, the photos do take me back to another time and environment that I could incorporate into to my stories.

I try to take photos of historical buildings, churches, libraries and other places to provide a glimpse of what makes the town what it is. I will say that some towns are more interesting than others. Some seem to have more civic pride and try to promote their uniqueness. And some are more prosperous, which allows them to do more than others in terms of historic preservation.

But all are worth a visit.

Here are a few photos:


Madison Hall of Justice in Richmond


Boyle County Courthouse in Danville



Fayette County Museum in Lexington

Court Street corner in Owingsville

J.J. Newberry storefront in Paris

Harrodsburg Historical Society

Bluegrass Heritage Museum in Winchester
Old house in Warsaw

Schofield House in Madison, Ind.
Anderson County Courthouse in Lawrenceburg

Lincoln County Public Library in Stanford
 
Owen County Courthouse in Owenton

Veterans Memorial in Shelbyville





Until the next time... 

No comments:

Post a Comment