Friday, July 25, 2014

Staying Focused

I believe one of the most -- if not THE MOST -- difficult aspect of writing is staying focused. 

It's my biggest obstacle. I have the best intentions but oftentimes life simply gets in the way of my writing goals.

I'm still laboring on completing a second volume of short stories. I'm still wavering back and forth on plans for my next time. 

But, more than anything, I simply don't have as much time as I need to get what I want accomplished in terms of writing.

I'm not sure if it's a lack of energy, motivation, or simply have too many other things going on that I need to scale back or eliminate from my planned or unplanned routine. 

No doubt, my regular job takes up about nine hours a day, leaving 15 hours. Of that, I try to get eight hours of sleep each night (hey, I'm not a night owl anymore and I do need my rest), so that makes it seven hours.

And I do like to eat, read, and exercise, and there are chores around the house. 

I know it sounds like I'm making excuses, and of course, I am. 

On my last novel, I allotted about an hour to write every morning. I was amazed how much I could accomplish in that amount of time if I kept at it day after day.

So it seems like I need to get myself back into that mindset. I'll keep you posted.

Until the next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment