Friday, November 7, 2014

NaNoWriMo -- Week One

I survived the first week of National Novel Writing Month, or NaNoWriMo.

I've written 11,382 words in seven days, an average of 1,626 per day. The target is 1,667 a day, so I'm pretty much on course to reach 50,000 by Nov. 30. 

While I have stayed focused, writing several hours each morning, the work-in-progress should start picking up steam as I'm getting more into a groove with the story.

As noted before, this is a boomer-lit novel, dealing with issues facing older folks (they say to write what you know about). 

The story did drag on days 4 and 5, but I continued to let the words flow, regardless of the direction. That's always something to keep in mind when writing a first draft because you can always go back and rewrite or delete passages, quotes, or anything you heart desires. 

And it's not that painful because you realize that some of the things you're putting on the screen isn't very good. In fact, some of it is awful. 

But by continuing to write through the rough parts, you are knocking down writer's block and other mental obstacles that stand in your way. It's kind of empowering. 

I'll post something again next Friday to let you know how things are going. It will be interesting because I have a book signing tomorrow and a family event on Sunday, but I'll be up bright and early each day to write.

Until the next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment